My approach to weight and eating issues is holistic, addressing body, mind, emotions and spirit. We discuss diet and lifestyle changes that you would like to make to help you achieve your optimal weight, and we address the inner obstacles that sabotage your efforts. This nurturing, holistic approach is gentle, accepting and non-judgmental. It builds self-esteem and self-understanding, fostering good self-care. We work to heal the self-blame and self-condemnation of “the diet mentality”. As a result, most people find their relationship with food changing easily and naturally.
This approach is not a quick fix. Instead, this process allows for deeper, permanent change. And when real change happens on deep levels, you have truly changed your life and you’re on the path to lifelong health and fitness.
Hypnotherapy & EFT both reach the subconscious levels of the mind, and EFT is especially effective for conquering cravings. Many former ‘chocoholics’ are now able to enjoy a little chocolate from time to time – and sometimes they can take it or leave it, completely free of their old compulsion. My vision is that we all may become ‘gourmets’ – able to enjoy all the good things in life in proper balance, free of cravings and compulsions, choosing to eat healthfully without a struggle. When the subconscious is on your side, you have a very powerful ally, and new behaviors seem to ‘happen’ naturally.
The weight loss process is especially effective in individual session work because everything can be tailored to meet your specific needs and requests. It is recommended that we start with 3-5 sessions to change habits and address emotional eating. Everyone is different, but for many people, this will be a good start to get you on track. You then may wish to continue with a session once every month or two for maintenance and support. You will receive many personalized CDs to support you between sessions.
Some people prefer the group support of a class. The popular three-week “Weight Loss and Your Subconscious Mind” class has been taught through Fletcher Allen Hospital’s Community Health Improvement series, and it is also available at other venues. Many people have had great results from the class. Some have combined the class with several individual sessions.
No classes are currently scheduled. If you have a group of friends or work colleagues who would like to take the class together, let me know and we can schedule a special class for you. You will find an outline of a sample 3-week class below, though the class can be offered in other formats (a briefer introductory class, a 1-day workshop, a series of teleclasses by phone, etc.)
Weight Loss and Your Subconscious Mind – A Three-Week Class
- What is the Subconscious Mind and what is its role in weight and eating issues?
- What is hypnosis and how can hypnosis help?
- What kind of lifestyle supports achieving and maintaining an optimal weight?
- Hypnosis experience: “Your Inner Blueprint”
You receive a CD of this to use at home.
- Easy Self-Hypnosis – how to relax naturally and reprogram your mind
- Stopping negative self-talk; learning to be your own best friend
- Bring in a “temptation food” for next time
- More on self-hypnosis
- How to use anchors, affirmations and key words
- Hypnotherapy for reinforcement: “The Magic Waterfall”
- A second tool: EFT (the Emotional Freedom Technique)
- How EFT releases the “stuck energy” and restores balance
- It helps reduce cravings.
- It helps with the emotional drivers for eating such as loneliness, boredom, anxiety, etc. and helps break the attachments to certain foods.
- It slows things down so you have a choice.
- It helps you get in touch with your body.
- Using EFT with our temptation foods
- Check-in – What has changed for you?
- Learning about subconscious resistance
- The “part” that doesn’t want to change
- The kid inside, either needy or rebellious
- The protective part inside
- Payoffs and secondary gains
- A process to uncover subconscious payoffs and resistance to change.
- Discussion and EFT
- A brief hypnosis “parts therapy” to address the part that is attached to old behaviors.
- “The Hot-Air Balloon” – Hypnotherapy to energize your positive vision – staying on track with a balanced lifestyle, good habits for eating and exercise, and a healthy weight for your body.